Monday, March 5, 2007

I was reading an interview with Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker about Iron Fist, when I scrolled down and saw a panel from an upcoming issue. Take a look.

Normally, when you read a comic it's read left to right, top to bottom. It's just how the American eye works. But whomever drew this panel chose to buck that trend, and do things a little differently. I can't think this was in Brubaker and Fraction's script. Only because it's too outside the box for a writer. Though, if they did write it, hey, kudos to you guys, it's frickin' cool.

I've been noticing page layouts similar to this one; where one image is used for multiple panels and only the character shifts within. This page takes that style to an extreme, and I think I love it.

The panel flows, quite wonderfully, with Iron Fist moving left to right, right to left, left to right. It's perfectly natural, and the only thing that took me out of it was that I knew it shouldn't be natural.

Fantastic work.

No comments: