Friday, March 16, 2007

Musing: SPRING BREAK!

Howdy y'all.

Spring Break was last week. I didn't go anywhere. I worked alot, for money, not specifically on books. Though, I did work a lot on comics and related materials.

I finished reading Scott McCloud's Making Comics. It's brilliant. I wish I could draw like McCloud. I wish I could draw at all. I'm going to be reading this again soon. Though, I'll probably read it after I buy and read McCloud's Understanding Comics. The book has a lot of great content, and while I might try and review it at some point in the future, I think any small posting here would fail to do the book justice. It's awesome, go buy it.

As I was perusing the graphic novel shelves at Borders I spotted a very interesting looking book. Check it out. Chris Ware's The Acme Novelty Library is a work of genius. It's engaging. It's depressing and enjoyable. I think the book has something to do with futility. I can't say for certain though, as I've only read the first 30 or so pages. It's one of the deepest books I've ever read. Comic or otherwise.

I started my own web-comic. Boo! Adventures. I think it's the best thing since the written word. I'm talking about hieroglyphics. Language. Heck, I'll say it's the best thing since The Word. But don't just take my word for it. Read the thing. Start with #1. Though, they can be read out of order. It's an experiment of mine, so I hope it succeeds.

I've started listening to the Golden Age of Comics Podcast. It's available free on iTunes. Check it out. It's some interesting synopsis on some of the best comic books. Or at they very least, comic books from a different time that if you care about the medium you'll want to have an understanding of.

I also played a lot of Heroclix. Wizkidsgames just put out a new expansion set of my favorite game ever, and I now have fun little miniature toys of Hawkman, Sandman, Starman, Captain Marvel, Jakeem Thunder and the Martian Manhunter. So awesome. I love me some comic book character miniatures.

On a writing note, I made some progress on some plots I had been working on. I'm working on short stories. I'm trying to make an anthology title. I think it could be really interesting.

No comments: